Thursday, August 11, 2011

On This Day in History

In 1979: World Series Champs: Pittsburg Pirates

Super Bowl Champs: Pittsburgh Steelers

NBA Champs: Seattle Supersonics

Stanley Cup Winners: Montreal Canadians

NCAA Football Champs: Alabama

NCAA Basketball Champs: Michigan State

Billboard top song for the week of August 11, 1979: Bad Girls- Donna Summers

Black & Decker released the “The Dust buster”

Sony released the first “Walkman” (retail $200.00)

Victoria Secret opens

ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) begins broadcasting

On Aug 11:

1929: Babe Ruth becomes first to hit 500 Home runs. Hit off Willis Hudlin in Cleveland

1934: Alcatraz, in San Francisco Bay, Received its first boatload of federal prisoners.

1950: Yankee great Joe DiMaggio is benched for the first time

1951: The First major League Baseball game is televised in Color. Brooklyn Dodgers defeat Boston Braves 8-1.

August 11, 1979: Phillies Pitcher Tug McGraw (Yes- Tim McGraw’s Dad) gave up record 4th grand slam on the year.

August 11 1979: In Pasadena California, at Huntington Memorial Hospital around 8:20AM (It was a Saturday, with a high of 79 degrees) Robert Amos Hoomanauwnuni Naone made his first appearance in this world. An event that changed many people’s lives. He arrived 3 weeks early, and his mom said “He made her the happiest mother ever.”

On this day in History, my world started to take shape, even though I wouldn’t know it for another 30 or so year. Here is to my amazing Husband on his birthday. You are amazing, and I am so blessed to get to call you mine. I love you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!







A few thoughts:

“Wow another birthday!!! Just wanted to sing you a song once I heard. Ha Hum “oh you are getting old…. Very very old!!! HA HA just kidding.
I love you Rob, and I am very thankful to have you as my older brother. We all loved our visit a couple months ago and cant wait to see you guys again! We love you and hope you have a great day! Happy Birthday!
Love Kim and Family. (Sister)

“When I met Elder Carter in his underwear, I knew it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Robert was a great missionary. He had a strong work ethic and was obedient and at the same time was relaxed and fun. He helped transition me from a new, young missionary who didn’t speak much Spanish into a more confident missionary who became a first time senior companion right after Carter and I were done being companions. Side note: Robert pissed me off as a missionary when we played basketball on our P-day because he trash talked and was too fast for me to guard. After the mission Carter and I have maintained our friendship. He’s a great man and will make a great father. (wink)
Aaron Wilde (Former Mission Companion, Best friend)

Brent Remembers Home Run Derbies and said “One day I ran away from home and he (Rob) found me at a baseball field. I never told nobody where I was going, he just knew. He took me on my first loop roller coaster. He’s very loyal to his own. He’d always have your back. If I had to throw down, I’d want him in my corner.
Brent Carter (Younger Brother)

“Rob is just a studly man all the way around. He knows baseball inside and out. Anytime I need help with my swing or mechanics and he will help me out. I can go to him with a question and he’ll give me a straight up answer with no sugar coating.”
Mckay Carter (youngest Brother)

“Rob is da man! He is almost always in a good mood, and has always got a good joke. Very sarcastic and up for anything. I luv Rob, in a manly way, not the sissy kind.
Tony Bennett (long time friend)

"The first time I met Rob (he was about 12 at the time) He told me that if I went to his baseball game, he would hit a homerun for me. When I got there, Sure enough, he kept his promise."
Al Carter (Dad)

1 comment:

  1. Love how you did that! I bet that took you forever to find facts from that day and that year! Cute of you to write down the thoughts from friends and family too--what a good wife. PS glad you are posting more!!

    ReplyDelete