Friday, June 29, 2012

Heaven Forbid

I had a scary weekend last weekend. It all started Thursday June 21st. When I woke up, I was feeling ok. A little on the tired side, but I'm used to that. By noon, I had a slight headache and my stomach was rumbling. I ate my lunch and kind of started to feel better. By the time I was leaving work, and heading to my Niece's birthday party at planet play, I was not feeling so well. I thought it was because of the heat (It was close to 100 degrees- plus being heated by my own personal oven) I was the first one there, so I went to the bathroom, then sat down and waited for family and tried sipping water. If I thought it was hot outside, I was NOT prepared with how hot it was during the party. I went and tried to get some food, and sat down with it. I took one look at it, and decided I probably should go to the bathroom. I went and was sick. Then when I felt like I was done, I just decided to get some ice cream to help cool me off. Half way to the table, I made eye contact with Rob, turned around, through the ice cream away, and ran to the bathroom again. After about 15 minutes, Rob sent his sister in to see if I was okay. I thought I was, so I went back, got some ice cream and slowly ate it. The rest of the party I was on the verge of getting sick. I would sip on water and sprite, but I could tell I was just getting worse. I finally excused myself and went home. I made it home just in time. after another face off with the toilet, I went to my room and just laid on the floor in front of our fan. Any movement pushed me over the edge. I finally got into bed, and fell asleep until about 2AM, after that, I was up all night sick. I finally had a little relief at about 7AM until I got up to go to work. I had to move very slow, and I kept trying to drink some water, but it was not staying down. When I got to work, and after I was still having to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes) and my doctor's office opened, I decided I should probably call them to make sure everything was okay with both me and the baby. I told them how long I had been sick, how I was feeling, and what my symptoms were. I was told that I was dehydrated, and by the sound of it, I was VERY dehydrated. The nurse put me on hold, and called the doctor. When she came back, she had instructions for me. They wrote me a prescription for zofran, and told me that if I still could not hold water down by 4PM, Then I would need to go straight to labor and delivery. I would need an IV, and to be monitored, since dehydration is the number one cause for pre-term labor. (This turned me into an emotional basket case) I was also advised that if I had ANY contractions, even a little one, I would need to go to hospital ASAP. I broke down to the nurse, and told her that I didn't even know what a contraction felt like. She was very patient and explained it to me, helped calm my fears a little, and said to call her directly if I had any questions. ( I LOVE my doctors office!)I was going to leave work, take the medicine, and take a nap and see how I felt at 4, and then I would have a better idea if I would need to go to the hospital, but due to a fire in Saratoga springs (about 10 minutes from my work) 3 girls had to go home, because there homes were in danger, and they were being evacuated. I did my best to stick it out, but finally left at 2:30. I got home, Rob went and picked up my medicine, and got me some crackers and powerade. I tried the medicine, and laid down. I still felt really sick, but I was able to keep a few swallows of water down. I told Rob to go to work, and that if I got sick again, I would call him, and we would go to the hospital, but since I was able to hold down a little water, and the baby was moving once in a while, I was trying to stay home. By about 10PM, I ate a cracker, and had a little sip of powerade. Sunday I was still feeling sick, but the zofran did miracles, and I was no longer throwing up. By Saturday night, I had a brownie (yes, I know, not the best thing to eat, but my cousin made them, and they looked SUPER YUMMY!) I still had only drank a few sips of water and powerade by Saturday night, but the baby was bouncing and kicking and going nuts, so I was not too worried. As much as I cant wait to meet out little girl, I am so glad she didn't try to make her grand entrance. I would like for her to cook a little longer. Since getting sick, I have decided to only drink water and powerade. (for the most part) I was drinking sprite on top of the water, but I'm sure the sugar and carbonation doesn't help with the dehydration, So I decided not to drink it anymore. It's been a week and I have survived. So the next 3 months shouldn't be too bad. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment