Thursday, September 8, 2011

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes

“Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes, how do you measure a year in a life?”

A year ago, we were gathered around your bed when you took your last breath, and crossed over to the other side of the veil.

“While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him on the other side of the veil.”
-President John Taylor

“Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred journeys to plan”

In the year since you have been gone, I have been to the west coast, and the east coast. Yet, I still remember our trips over the 24Th of July up to the Gorge like they were yesterday.

“In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee, In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.”

Every time I smell fresh brewed coffee, or hear the beginning sounds of a coffee pot, I remember waking up in the motor home. I remember your amazing laughter and attitude while you fought your long battle with cancer. You did everything you could to put your family first. You are an amazing example to me.

“Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes, how do you measure a year in the life? How about love? It’s time now, to sing out, Though the story never ends. Let’s celebrate and Remember the year in the life of friends. Remember the love! You know that love is a gift from up above. Share love, give love, spread love, Measure your life in love!”

In the past year, I have learned the importance of a memory, and how valuable they become as time passes. Looking back, I would have done things differently. I would have had you walk me down the aisle. I would have danced with you at my wedding. I would have visited more, called more.

It’s comforting to know that we will see each other again. I like to think you are up there in heaven on a boat. I like to believe you’re up there teaching my kids how to fish. It was the best spending summers with you, and I hope It’s still going on up there.

I am very lucky to have been in the room with you for your last moments on earth, To know that you loved us all.

“Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; a horizon is nothing, save the limit of our sight.”

I love you Grandpa, and I miss you.

“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.”

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and loving post Em! It sounds like you had an amazing Grandpa and you will always have wonderful memories to remind you of him. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete