Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Working Time Blues

Ever since returning to work after my surgery, I have been burnt out. It used to be that I loved my job, and that I found it satisfying. That is not the case anymore. These days, it feels more like I am babysitting. I have been thinking about switching departments for some time now, but I have not wanted to "abandon" my team, especially since we are getting busier, and are only at 3.5 people, doing 6 or 7 peoples amount of work.

I was talking with someone that used to be on my team (actually- he is the .5 person who helps out when his department is slow, or we are crazy busy) I told him that I felt like I was burnt out, and I was not enjoying work as much as I had in the past. He then let me in on a team "Secret". One of the girls on his team was leaving, therefore her position would be opening up. I thought about it a matter of seconds, and decided I wanted her position. While I didnt think I would like that position specifically, it was a stepping stone for an even better position. While I would probably not be happy with my job during those "stepping stone" months, I thought it would be better in the end, and a change of pace from what I have been doing for the past year. One of the up sides of this, was the manager, is the same manager I have, and we work really well together. She knows who I am and how well I work, as well as my strengths and weaknesses. When I was done talking to my friend, I went into my bosses office, and asked if we could schedule a meeting to talk about my future with the company. We set up a time, and I got all of the sudden really nervous. I started doubting my decision, mainly because everything that could go wrong on my team-did.

My meeting was scheduled for Monday morning, and all weekend i was second guessing myself. After thinking about it all weekend, I decided I was going to go through with the meeting. I didnt know exactly what I wanted to say, let alone how to say it, and I was really nervous. When I went into my meeting, one of the first things that came out of my mounth were "Im really burned out with the disclosure department" I imedietly wished I could have taken it back, that was not really how I wanted to cross this bridge with my boss. I was a little apprehensive about my boss's response, until she said something along the lines of " I know you have been, I expected to have this conversation 3 or 4 months ago." I told her that I didnt want to abandon the team, especailly since we have been so busy, and they lack the training that I have as TeamLead. But for the sake of my sanity, I needed to do something different, that challenged me, and pushed me to be better. I no longer felt that in this position.

It ended up being a great conversation, and while I learned that she is not filling the position that I originally thought I wanted- Which I later realized that I dont really want it. She told me of the changes that she was making to her Processing department, and that really excited me. She was working on totally re-doing how the team works, and she said there was a job for me somewhere within the department. She is getting the plans written up, and then they have to be approved by our corporate office, and then the branches, but I am very excited and hopeful. She may not know anything for about 30 days on what is approved, but we decided that was for the best, because I could train my team on how to handle the problems, what to look for, and complete the training material we have been working on for about 6 months on and off. It will also give me time to get some additional training on different systems that our company uses.

All in all, I am very excited that I met with my boss. Even if the job doesnt come through-she told me specifics, but I am not going to indulge you with them, I dont want to jinx it- We talked about me still moving on, and getting even more expreience. Im glad that she is willing to work with me, and she sees that I need to do something more than what I am doing now. I love the company I work for, and I love learning everything that I have, Im just ready to learn more.

I cant help being hopeful! hopefully I am in for some kind of change in reguards to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment