Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Okay, Go! (or not)

September 22 was an eventful day In the Carter household. It all started around 9AM. I went with my sister to run some errands. We took Konnor to Karate, then went to Smiths to pick up his birthday cake for his party that afternoon. I was feeling very tired, and sick. I swear I had to use the bathroom more than once while we ran our errands. I was having contractions the night before, but nothing really close, or painful. The contractions were getting a little stronger as we ran our errands, but I was trying not to time them. Finally, as we headed to Wendy's to get drinks, and the kids a snack, I had a painful contraction. By the time we were leaving Wendy's drive-thru, I was having another one. Brittany said that the contractions were 3 minutes apart. I had also started spotting in the morning, but I was not worried about it, because the doctor advised that it was normal at the end stages of pregnancy. With the contractions that close, Britt had me call my doctor. I left the on call doctor a message and tried not to think about it all. When we got home, I barely made it into the house, when I curled up on the floor with another painful contraction. At that point, Brittany ran downstairs to get Rob, and sent us off to the hospital. When we got to the hospital, they put us in a triage room, and we patiently awaited to hear if we were staying at the hospital and having the baby, or if we were gonna get sent home. The nurse came in and hooked my up to the monitors, and I was in fact having contractions ever 2 or so minutes. After she was done hooking me up, I asked to use the bathroom, and she said that was okay. When I came back out, she checked me, and I had not dilated. So we were posed with two options. We could either A) walk around the hospital or somewhere else for a few hours, and come back and see if I progressed at all, or B) They could give me a shot of Morphine, and I could go home and sleep it off, or wait to see what happens. At this point, the nurse thought it would only be a matter of hours before I had the baby. We decided to try and walk around the hospital for a few hours, before I got dressed, I had to go to the bathroom again. I didn't think anything of it, since I was 9 months pregnant, I thought that was kinda normal, when the nurse asked me about it, I told her that when I went earlier, it was a false alarm, and that I only thought I had to go, but that I didn't actually go. She decided she wanted to check for a UTI. She took her sample, and told us to come back in an hour and They would have the results, and they would check me again. Rob and I stopped by the cafeteria and got me some soup, and then we found a nice little place to walk around. (literally around- it was a labyrinth on the hospital grounds)I ate, then drank water, and walked, and even jogged. after an hour, we decided to walk around the long way to the labor and delivery building. When we got there, We went back into the triage room. We found out that I did in fact have a UTI. The nurse said that I was not in labor, and that the UTI was causing the contractions. She checked me, and I was still at a 0. So we decided to do the shot of Morphine, and go home and sleep. I was pretty much asleep by the time we got home. I crashed on the couch up stairs while Rob ate something, and talked with my mom and Brittany about what happened while we were at the hospital. I don't remember much about that afternoon. I had never been on morphine before. I do know that we went to cafe Rio for dinner with Britt and my mom, and then Rob and I went to the new Dicks to walk around. (when I say walk around, I mean I walked around for maybe 30 minutes, then found a bench and fell asleep on it while Rob continued to look around the store) When we got home, we played games with Britt and the kids until Midnight (Once again, this is a little fuzzy to me, due to the morphine) When we were done playing, I went straight to bed. Morphine is great stuff. (More on that later) I thought for sure we would have our little girl that day, but ALAS, we didn't. No little girl for us on September 22. :( Here are a few pictures to document our false alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment